Search This Blog

02 February 2013

Answering Questions from Class

For Clara:
I still haven't found that perfect chart that I want to demonstrate clearly the lineup of fachs, or vocal ranges, but also showing the notation. But I did find a nice video utilizing different operatic singers that compares the mezzo and soprano.

As you can hear, a lot of the notes are shared between the mezzo and soprano parts, but the sopranos offer little more in the higher notes than the mezzos in the way of duration and power.

The way to see it for the higher ranges is basically as follows:
Soprano Lirico-Coloratura
(Soprano Lirico)
Mezzo Soprano
Contralto (often confused with mezzo)
Alto

A mezzo soprano can often sing some of the same notes as a soprano, but it comes down to what is comfortable and how long their voice endures those higher notes. A coloratura is a step higher than the soprano because of their agility and flexibility while singing higher runs, also noted for more dramatic bursts and runs in their vocals.
So if the tessitura of a song (which is basically the general range of a song, or the average notes keeping within that range that an artist feels comfortable with singing) remains in a certain range comfortable for a mezzo, it can still include some of the higher notes that you may hear from a soprano, but the mezzo will simply sing them with less gusto or at a softer amplitude.

Hope that clarifies. I'll keep looking for the perfect chart I have in mind that would show the ranges clearly and include some of the other parts of information I think it should get across. If I don't find the kind of chart I am hoping to find, I might eventually just make one haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment